Chalcidice has a significant and remarkable history. Its history starts thousands of years before, from the famous Cave of Petralona and the relics of the Neanderthal Man who lived 100,000 years ago. The capital of Chalcidice is Polygyros. Polygyros is built on the ruins of ancient Apollonia where was found the sanctuary of Apollon Polyieros who probably gave his name to the city. During the Turkish domination, Polygyros was the center of trade and textile industry.
Stageira is a region of Chalcidice with a great history. Stageira is the birthplace of the great philosopher Aristotle who was the teacher of Alexander the Great. Ierissos is built on the beach with the homonymous name. Ierissos leads to Ouranoupoli which is the entrance to Mount Athos.
Chalcidice, thanks to its rich historical tradition gives visitors the opportunity to visit some of the most important archaeological sites of Greece, such as the ancient Stageira, the ancient Olynthus, the Cave of Petralona and many others sights. Guests can also visit the numerous archaeological and folklore museums whose great exhibits impress visitors.
• Mount Athos (the Holy Mountain)
• Ancient Stagira, the birthplace of Aristotle in Olympiad.
• The archeological area of Olynthus
• The archeological area of Akanthos in Ierissos
• The Byzantine castles in Ouranoupoli, Sani, Nea Fokaia and Toroni
• Nea Roda, the narrowest point between Mount Athos and Chalcidice. At this point, in 480 BC, Xerxes built a canal in his effort to invade Greece.
• Poseidi, the most ancient sanctuary of Poseidon
• Nikiti, Agios Georgios, Elia beach with their old Christian Basilicas
• Potidaia with its medieval walls
• Kallithea with the ruins of the Temple of Ammon Zeus
• The museum of Polygyros
SITHONIA: The main archaeological and historical sites in Sithonia are: the tower and the pre-Byzantine fortress in Agios Nikolaos, the Parthenonas village in Neos Marmaras, the Kelyfos island across from Neos Marmaras and the archaeological site in Toroni. In Sithonia, you will find golden beaches, ideal for swimming and sunbathing, such as Agios Nikolaos, Vourvourou, Neos Marmaras, Nikiti, Sartis, Sikia, as well as in Kalamitsi, Porto Koufo, Toroni and Panagias bay.